This smothered chicken recipe is made with juicy fried chicken breasts tossed in a flavorful gravy with crispy bacon.
2lbs Chicken wings
2 T Butter
2 T Wheat Flour
6 C Chicken broth
1 tsp Bouillon cube
2 tsp Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Onion Powder, Celery Salt
1 T Canola oil
Optional (1/2 C Mushrooms, Chopped Celery, and onions)
1. Season chicken with 1 tsp of seasonings. Toss to coat.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat add oil. Brown chicken on all sides for about 6-8 mins. Set aside.
3. In the same skillet, deglaze the pan by scraping bits from the bottom. Add butter and flour to make the roux. Whisk until caramel-colored about 4-6 mins. (If using celery and onions, add them here and cook for 1 additional minute)
4. Add broth and remaining seasonings. Whisk once more until gravy is slightly thickened. Add 1/3 C water to thin if gravy is too thick.
5. Add chicken back to the pan, lower heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
Leave a Comment